At Fox Chiropractic, we have shared the benefits of chiropractic care with residents of Downey, CA for many years. Many of our patients visit us for the first time looking for relief from sciatica. Sciatica occurs when the sciatic nerve is irritated, resulting in pain and immobility. Read on to learn more about how sciatica is diagnosed and treated.
Symptoms of Sciatica
This painful condition is characterized by the following common symptoms:
- Pain in one leg: The sciatic nerve pain is usually described as shooting and sharp pain or burning sensation.
- Altered sensation: Tingling, numbness, and pins-and-needles sensation are also very common.
- Weakness: You can feel heaviness in your affected leg, as well as weakness in both the leg and foot.
- Lower back pain: This pain can get worse if you sit for an extended period.
Are There Any Risk Factors?
Risk factors associated with this condition include:
- Occupation: You will more likely have this condition if you have to lift heavy objects or sit for prolonged periods at your work.
- Diabetes: This disease impairs blood flow and healing, so people with diabetes are more likely to suffer from this condition.
- Smoking: Nicotine affects blood circulation, so smoking increases the risk of this condition.
- Bad posture: The way a person sits and stands affects the path of the sciatica nerve. If you have bad posture, your muscles are not in balance, so it may lead to chronic fatigue and nerve irritation.
- Obesity: Extra pounds put pressure on the spine. Therefore, if you are overweight, it is recommended to lose weight to avoid this condition.
How Can A Chiropractor Help?
Chiropractic care has been proven to be effective for alleviating sciatic nerve pain and other symptoms caused by sciatica. Therefore, if notice any signs of this disorder, it may be a good idea to see a chiropractor. Our chiropractic specialist will conduct a physical exam and suggest the relevant treatment. Here is a list of treatment options that are usually offered by chiropractors:
- Ice therapy
- Therapeutic massage
- Spinal manipulations
- Spinal decompression therapy
- Stretching exercises
Family Chiropractor in Downey, CA
If you are looking for high-quality chiropractic care in Downey, CA, or any other nearby area, contact Fox Chiropractic today. We specialize in treating different conditions and disorders including sciatica. Call us at (562) 862-0744 for more information or to schedule an appointment with our chiropractor.